The Centre for Diverse Learners will be running Reading Rocks 2020-2021 sessions ONLINE!
Reading Rocks is a 3-week daily (Mon-Fri) reading program for children and youth 6-12 years old who struggle with the attainment of early literacy skills due to an identified or suspected learning disability. Through this effective instructional program, children are paired with a trained tutor who will develop hands-on activities and games to teach the essential literacy concepts of phonics, sight words, and fluency, while building children’s motivation and fostering self-regulation. Each week, each student will work with their tutor to set goals and graph their success in these areas so they have a clear vision of their achievements.
Reading Rocks makes reading FUN!
I have seen such a tremendous improvement in my son’s willingness to read which was a battle in itself before Reading Rocks. There hasn’t been a single time that he has tried to get out of his tutoring and when I asked him if he wanted to do it again he very quickly said yes! Thank you for this opportunity.
I loved this program, I didn’t have to force my kids to go because they were excited to attend. Reading Rocks is amazing because it was tailored to each child’s interest. My son loves video games so that was incorporated during his sessions and on his board. Both my son and daughter are so much more confident and willing to try different reading tasks.
Wow! What a difference reading rocks has made for Jared. Christina was amazing and can’t thank her and Asma enough for their efforts. Is there any possible way we can get Jared in the next session? He was actually excited every night before knowing he had reading rocks the next day. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help his chances.
We were very happy to have our son participate in the program. He loved creating a special board to track his progress and incorporating pictures of his interests made him very proud to show it off. Our teacher Jessica, was outstanding. She was professional, and so encouraging each week. Our son enjoyed going each week and we couldn’t Thank Jessica enough for all her dedication to helping him learn. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to participate in this excellent program!
Thank you once again for such an amazing program! Lincoln has excelled and gained confidence in his literacy because of this program. Lindsay was amazing with him and knew exactly how to hold his attention and keep him engaged. Excellent all around!
Our son made a huge leap in learning how to read during this program! It is a small step but a big step for him, as he could not grasp the concept of fusing sounds of letters together. He has known the sounds that individual letters make for years now, but he hit a wall when it came to actually putting letters together. His school and our family struggled to teach him this concept. Like magic, during the program he started understanding this concept. His school reported to me also that they noticed that he was fusing letter sounds together!!!
Thank you so much for this program! You all do a wonderful job! Reading opens up such a new world for our kids!
Thank you for running such a super reading program with great tutors. This program has helped my both boys very much. They loved their tutors and has developed love of reading. I see a great change in my boys. Thank you again for giving my both sons the opportunity to be in this program and achieve their academic goals.
July 12-30 or August 9-27
Online through MS teams
The Application Process
1. Fill Out Application
Fill out a waitlist application for your child.
*Please Note: Filling out the application form does not guarantee your child a spot in the Reading Rocks program. The number of spots available depends on the number of volunteer tutors that we have. By filling out the application you are on the waitlist.
2. A Program Coordinator Will Reach Out To You
If there is a spot available, our Program Coordinator will reach out to you via email to offer you a spot in the program. You will have one week to respond and confirm your spot. After this time, the Program Coordinator will move on to the next name on the waitlist. Spots will be given out on a first come first serve basis based on the date and time on completed application forms.
3. Submit Your Payment
Once you have confirmed your spot, details on how to make a payment will be sent to you via email. To keep your child’s spot in the Reading Rocks program you must make a payment before the start of the session.
Subsidies available upon request.
*Due to lack of funding, program fees are higher than the last session.
*Waivers and Conditions of Enrollment in Reading Rocks Program:
- I understand that Microsoft Teams is an online communication tool allowing for face-to-face, video, voice or chat dialogue. I understand that all video conferencing platforms, including Microsoft Teams, have some security risks, and therefore, it is best to avoid sharing any unnecessary personal information while video conferencing.
- I agree that the Centre for Diverse Learners and the tutor should not be held responsible if any outside party gains access to my child’s personal or confidential information by bypassing Microsoft Teams security measures.
- I understand that internet connection can be intermittent, and if the session is lost the tutor will make every effort to resume the meeting within 10 minutes
- The parent or guardian of the above-named participant, releases the Centre for Diverse Learners, its directors, staff, agents and members from any loss, personal injury, accident, misfortune or damage to the above-named or his/her property, with the understanding that reasonable precautions shall be taken to ensure the health and safety of the above-named participant.
- For the program to be effective and out of respect for volunteers we ask families to commit to attending each session of the program they register for. If you will be unable to attend a session, you must inform tutor and program site facilitator with as much notice as possible.
- For the safety of the volunteer staff and other participants, LDA Halton-Hamilton has the right and responsibility to take actions such as phone calls home and possible dismissal from program if a child exhibits continual inappropriate behaviour, or immediately if a safety issue arises.
- I understand that if my child’s volunteer tutor withdraws from the program, my child may be placed with an alternate volunteer tutor.
- I understand that in order to ensure every child’s full participation in the program, parents should not remain in the same room as their child during the session but rather outside the room, in the hallway or in an alternate room. I also acknowledge that if I volunteer for the program I will not be in the same room as my child during the sessions, and not be paired with my child for the session.
Program Cancellation Policy
50% of the registration fee will be refunded for any program cancellation received 2 weeks prior to the first class.
Please contact us for any cancellation questions at [email protected].
Many of our programs have limited space available as we aim to provide a low student to teacher ratio; unfortunately space cannot be held for any student until payment is received.
We reserve the right to cancel program sessions if minimum numbers are not reached.